What are the symptoms of depression?
Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:1, 2
- Feelings of sadness, guilt, or worthlessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities you once found enjoyable
- Changes in appetite that could result in weight loss or gain
- Insomnia or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping)
- Low self-esteem
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Difficulty with concentration or decision-making
- Thoughts of death or suicide
If you are feeling suicidal, immediate help is available. Dial 988 to contact the national 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, a 24/7 confidential mental health crisis service. Visit Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio for materials in Spanish. You can also go to our Crisis Resources page for a list of more hotline services.
1. National Institute of Mental Health (2022 September). Depression. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression
2. American Psychiatric Association (2020 October). What is Depression? https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/what-is-depression