What is a psychedelic-assisted therapy treatment plan?
View this post on Instagram
A comprehensive PAT treatment plan involves three stages:1
- Preparation – This typically involves the participant and provider meeting to discuss any concerns prior to the psychedelic experience. During this phase, the provider answers questions, discusses goals, and helps the participant to understand what to expect during the PAT. During this stage, the participant is building trust with the provider prior to the psychedelic experience.2
- Psychedelic Experience – Taking the medication in a controlled setting under the watch and guidance of the provider.
- Integration – This process involves making sense of the information coming out of the psychedelic experience.3 During this phase, subsequent and ongoing therapy, whether Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, or Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, occurs where results of the psychedelic experience – from confronting past traumas to gaining new insights – potentially translate into meaningful and constructive behavioral changes in a person’s everyday life.
1. Lewis-Healey, E. (2022 June 27). Measuring Psychedelic Integration. Psychedelics Today. https://psychedelicspotlight.com/measuring-psychedelic-integration/
2. Lewis-Healey, E. (2022 June 27). Measuring Psychedelic Integration. Psychedelics Today. https://psychedelicspotlight.com/measuring-psychedelic-integration/
3. Bathje, G., Majeski, E., Kudowor, M., (2022 August 4). Psychedelic Integration: An Analysis of the Concept and its Practice. Frontiers. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2022.824077/full.